[pct-l] Rain Gear

Rod Belshee rbelshee at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 23 20:40:49 CDT 2010

My thoughts...

For dry'ish segments (e.g. Cal and OR May-Aug), a $2, one ounce emergency
poncho worked just fine, eliminating a rain jacket and pack cover. In some
areas (e.g. Sierras) carry an ultralight so-called rain jacket to wear under
it, largely for arm cover and wind.  Scoring on the criteria:  effective
enough for those conditions (ultralight jacket arms will leak and legs will
get wet, but poncho keeps most of you dry), extremely light, durable enough
for a couple thousand miles with care, cost darn near free.  One annoynance:
plastic dries slowly compared to nylon and stinks if you wad it up wet.

For wet'ish segments (e.g. WA Spo-Oct), waterproof is more important than
ultralight, so carry a good rain jacket, plus ultralight rain pants. Scoring
on the criteria:  needs to a real rain coat to be effective in these
conditions, not light, good durability, not cheap.

Steady