[pct-l] Shipping to Manning Park Lodge

lucymann at comcast.net lucymann at comcast.net
Thu Sep 23 14:36:11 CDT 2010

We finished our section hike from Steven's Pass to Manning Park Lodge on September 5th. When we got to the lodge the boxes we had shipped there had arrived and were waiting for us. There was only one glitch - there was an additional $45 customs charge. Fortunately for us (and probably because we were staying there) the lodge paid the customs fee and we reimbursed them. I haven't read about any other hikers complaining about a customs fee so I'm not sure that I sent them correctly in order to avoid it. But I was very glad that at least they were there and we were able to change out of our stinky clothes and boots and put on clean town clothes!

The people at the lodge bent over backwards to help us in every way and we were very impressed with their kindness. They also wanted me to be sure to let the PCT hiker community know that they have a hostel that is much less expensive than staying at the lodge. It has a fully equipped kitchen and I believe she said a tv and game room as well. I think she said it was $30 per night. This might be a good option for those who have hiked for days in the cold, rain and even snow this year! The little store has plenty of supplies for cooking in the kitchen also.

When we were there we met Zorro from Spain and Yuval (the 3rd Disraeli Gear). They were so helpful with information on what we should carry and how we should mentally prepare for our thru-hike next year. We sure did feel privileged to be able to spend so much time talking to them.

The receptionist made sure that the Greyhound bus stopped right at the front door of the lodge and the four of us rode it to Vancouver. The Greyhound station is right in the Train Station so all we had to do was walk across the lobby to pick up our train tickets and a little later we were on the train and enjoying the "Bistro" car. We chose to come back to Seattle by train rather than stay on the bus because it is much more comfortable and we were able to walk around and also to eat.

It was a beautiful hike and we were fortunate enough to walk for 2 days through the Glacier Peak wilderness during Washington's most gorgeous summer days. We had rain and cold but that is a constant in the Pacific Northwest and at least it was dry when crossing the log over the Suiattle!

The worst parts of the trail were the incredible brush we had to push our way through ascending out of Milk Creek - I think this brush may be cut back now but it was awful when we passed through. The other really bad part of the trail is after leaving the Monument until we hit the PCT Camp. This trail looks like it hasn't been maintained for years and years - barely a boot path. The bridges are rotting and dangerous. It was a real disappointment as an introduction to Canada. It is obvious that most people come to the PCT Camp from the north because the trail was much better after that except for some more rotting and dangerous bridges.

Anyway, we felt like this was a very good training hike for us and we learned a lot and saw some beautiful country.

Lucy Mann