[pct-l] Bicycle Usage Proposal

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Sep 20 13:41:33 CDT 2010

Joel,

It was wonderful meeting you and your beautiful family, and to host you
however briefly. The issue regarding trail use here in the US is obviously
highly charged, with strong opinions on all sides. So much of it comes down
to ignorance, arrogance, and lack of enforcement of existing regulations.
Notice I did not say on whose part. BTW, the area you mention north of
Tehachapi has been getting a good deal of law enforcement focus due to the
volatility of battle with the locals and environmental destruction being
caused by illegal OHV use.

I know what it is to voice an opinion that goes against the tide. It's
especially difficult in cyberspace, where the majority of human
communication (tonal and non-verbal) isn't observed.  No doubt an attitude
of mutual respect and understanding of a different perspective would happen
much quicker face-to-face.

Anyways, your warmth and enthusiasm about the PCT is something I haven't
forgotten, so I just wanted to send you good wishes.  Life would not be at
all interesting if we all saw things the same way.

L-Rod