[pct-l] bear attack / another media report

Don Billings dbillings803 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 08:52:18 CDT 2010

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/09/20/national/a063809D28.DTL&tsp=1

----- Original Message ----
From: Sue Kettles <sue.kettles at comcast.net>
To: pct-l at backcountry.net
Sent: Sun, September 19, 2010 10:28:44 PM
Subject: [pct-l] bear attack

A friend just sent this news to me about a black bear attack on Friday the
17th near Lake Wenatchee in Washington - not far from the PCT and also where
ALDHA has had past gatherings. She has a home there and is seeing bear
activity this year that is very unusual. Evidently, there are no berries for
the bears to be feeding on, so many are coming down lower to the garbage
cans.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2012934324_bearattack19m.htm

"So that the story of tonight's bear attack gets out correctly, I can
provide the following facts. Tonight shortly after dark a man and his dog
were walking up N. Shore Drive near the old Telma resort  (near the West end
of North Shore Drive)  when they confronted a black bear.  The bear attacked
and the man was seriously injured with facial wounds.  The sheriff, state
patrol and Fish and Wildlife responded.  The man was removed to Leavenworth,
then transported to Wenatchee and later air lifted to Seattle.  Fish and
Wildlife called in a dog and handler to track the bear and it was located
and killed.  It was a older (6-7 years) female bear with no cubs. I am sure
that the media will provide full coverage, but to diminish rumors I wanted
to pass along this information."

http://www.lakewenatcheeinfo.com

Sue

To unsubcribe, or change options visit: