[pct-l] Gunky Tent Zipper Query

Sue Kettles sue.kettles at comcast.net
Sun Sep 19 12:10:10 CDT 2010

Hey Squatch - Hatchet Jack here.  I've had that happen a bunch of times in
the past 20 years - to several tents as they get older.  I have kept my
tents working all these years by just replacing the slider.  I talked with
someone years ago who told me it usually not the zipper itself that is
funked up, but the zipper slider.

The cheapest and easiest way to fix it is to replace the slider itself - you
don't need to replace the whole zipper (expensive if someone else does it
for you and time-comsuming if you do it yourself).  But if you just pick a
few threads and pop off the metal band that holds the slider from coming off
at the base of the zipper, you can take the slider to an outdoor sewing
store and find the right match, and then slip it back on real easy.  Then
just stitch that end together - real easy, even if you don't know how to
sew, and cheap.

Heard about your upcoming hike - sounds like a great time.  Its been pooring
rain here in Portland - I keep thinking about the thru hikers trying to
finish and imagine them soaked and cold.  Washington North Cascades are
soooooo beautiful - I'm sad that they haven't been seeing much of them since
its been a fairly nasty Sept so far. Anyone know how they've been doing?

Sue