[pct-l] If not alcohol stove, then what, query #2

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Wed Sep 15 19:30:08 CDT 2010

> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:18:02 -0700
> From: Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes <diane at santabarbarahikes.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] If not alcohol stove, then what, query #2
> To: pct-l at backcountry.net
>

> On Sep 15, 2010, at 1:43 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
>><snip>
>>
>> 4) availability of HEET (or, if that's not the best choice, then
>> what).
> It's available at gas stations or auto supply aisles in towns where
> people can expect to drive a part of the year in snow. So it is quite
> easily obtained throughout the trail.

That is what I was hoping to hear...  but wasn't sure since I've never gone
looking for it (I've typically just used unleaded gas in my other stove, ie,
no experience w/ alcohol stoves and their fuels).

> Does it matter? If it's too dry to cook with an alcohol stove it's
> too dry to cook. Do you really want to burn down the forest?

w/re wishing to burn down the forest: actually exactly the opposite, hence
the questions.

w/re alcohol stoves specifically: I think this point was brought up on the
list w/i the last couple of months, ie, no open fires, no shut off
valve-less stoves, but cansiter stoves, or contained fuel stoves, ok...  as
a possible interpretation of the regs or current conditions...  so: I'm just
looking at the possibles, though maybe not probables.

> Good luck with your planning,
> Diane

mil gracias, or, doomo arigatoo,
TheDuck