[pct-l] Preventing blisters on the heel

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Tue Sep 14 23:52:09 CDT 2010

  A key to preventing blisters on the heel is to duct tape the inside of
your shoe/boot.  Take the insole out and strip off about a 4" long by 1"
wide strip of duct tape.  STart the tape so that it wraps around the top
of the shoe a bit and then press it in.  There should be at least an
inch on the sole and the wrap at the top should fold over on the outside
behind the little thing you use to pull the shoe on.  Replace the insole
and you're good to go for hundreds of miles.

I do this when they're brand new so that dirt doesn't lessen the tapes
ability to stick.  It's amazing how simple a solution this for
preventing heel blisters.  Far less heat is generated and when socks are
wet they are much less likely to bunch up and create a hot spot.  When
you're hiking on hot sand/dirt and sweating, the heel doesn't get moist
and so the sock just slides up and down, up and down, with little
friction, or at least less...

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD