[pct-l] Who eats what on the trail??

dicentra dicentragirl at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 8 13:35:17 CDT 2010

Oooh! A food question. Yay! lol.

There is a TON of things you can do with grocery store finds (I have an entire
book based on that). You do have to look and figure out what ingredients are
available to work with.  Also (if possible) try more than one grocery store.
I've learned where to find specific ingredients in my area by shopping around.
Good stuff at the dollar stores too.

There are NO RULES.
Take a box of mac n cheese for example. There is nothing that says you can't mix
the cheese powder with your rice or cous cous and the noodles with a packet of
pesto sauce mix. Or the pesto sauce mix in your mashed potatoes...

If you do want to go the dehydrator route, make sure the one you buy has an
adjustable temperature and a fan. I'm working on a series of recipes that go
from the crock pot to the dehydrator... blamo! 12 meals, almost instantly!
Canned things like chili dry very easily too. Make your own instant rice (or
quinoa or millet...) or instant pasta by cooking and dehydrating it. You can
either do entire meals put together or dry individual ingredients. Just don't
dry somthing like peaches and onions together because the flavors will transfer.
Onion-flavored peaches? Blech!

There is a small handful of things that go in my food bag on EVERY trip - dark
chocolate, dried mangos, coffee, olive oil, parmesan cheese and salt & pepper. I
simply cannot eat Mountainhouse, which is partially how I got started developing
recipes in the first place.

I hope that helps. I'm happy to ramble on more... lol.

~Dicentra

http://www.onepanwonders.com ~ Backcountry Cooking at its Finest
http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra