[pct-l] Bivy sacs

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Sep 7 13:11:00 CDT 2010

I completely understand what Miner is saying and it is clear that he has good research and the experience to go with it allowing him to have as light a pack as he has.

My next question has to do with the practical function of a bivy sac. We agree that the small volume and waterproof covering of a bivy retains whatever heat that escapes a sleeping bag and thereby keeps you warmer than the bag alone, but how does getting in and out of it, much less cooking outside of it work while raining or snowing?

We watched as one of our students last year tried to scoot into his bivy during a snow storm and it didn't look good. He got coated with snow as he inched his way in, got buried and cold during the night, and got coated again in the morning when he emerged. Then he had to try and change clothes while standing in the snow and it was still snowing on him. This sure didn't look like the way to avoid getting wet and cold.

Is a bivy primarily meant for ideal weather?

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150