[pct-l] differentiation by weight only

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 10:39:11 CDT 2010

I have a base pack weight of just 8 pounds.  I've tested my gear in early
Spring/late winter conditions (below freezing and a with precipitation) and
have been very comfortable and safe.  That's how I knew I was ready for
anything the PCT could throw at me.

I was right.  It took a LOT of planning and skill-building, but my gear set
works very well for me.

I think that with a little more money and time I could even get it down 4
pounds.  I might even do that sometime...

I think 80% of being safe is about skills/knowledge, and about 20% is having
the "right" gear.

I think of going ultralight like this:  In order to lose the pack weight
safely you have to gain more skills.

If you can't pitch a cuben fiber tent in high wind/rain to make a
waterproof,dry shelter... then you shouldn't be carrying one.  But if you
*can*, then you are going to be one seriosuly happy hiker.  :)

-Austin