[pct-l] Gear question?

Jim Banks jbanks4 at socal.rr.com
Fri Sep 3 17:20:37 CDT 2010

Nicholas, great question.  Here is my two cents worth.  A lot of this brand
bashing is due to the fact that a lot of hikers lean towards being
counter-culture, anti-establishment, anti-big business, anti-corporate
world.  I am not necessarily saying that as a negative, just an honest
observation.  So if a company such as Jet Boil Inc. (emphasis on the Inc.)
makes a backpacking stove, it couldn't possibly be as good as the stove
someone made from a soda can.  I also think there is a lot of peer pressure.
If you are 22 years old and hiking with a bunch of other twenty-some things
and everyone else has a certain kind of sleeping bag or uses a tarp instead
of a tent, then there is a certain pressure to conform (although isn't
non-conformity their goal?).  And last but not least, I think there is a
certain amount of lack of self confidence, so if a person is uncertain about
a particular choice of gear their choice is re-enforced if they can convince
other people to buy the same item that they did.  If lots of people have
that item, then I must of made a wise choice.

As for me, I have the gear I have because it works for me and I couldn't
give a rip what anyone else thinks about it.

I-Beam