[pct-l] Probability of Disaster

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 2 11:12:44 CDT 2010

I carried a heavy load when I hiked the PCT in 1980. Some thought I packed a kitchen sink. I didn't. I also didn't pack a scale. But I would venture a guess that en route to Canada the average weight of my pack was around 45 pounds. I carried a 2-person Jansport Wedge tent, sub-zero sleeping bag, Gore-Tex rain gear, running shoes to wear around the camp, a pair of high-top mesh hiking boots that I bought in Oregon and alternated with my heavy (5 pounds?) Vibram-soled leather hiking boots that I wore most days. I carried a lot of food -- my mom and sister who shipped me my CARE packages tended to err on the high side) and enough filled water bottles so I would never go thirsty. Plus 35mm Pentax camera, extra lens, etc. I left Campo with way too much clothing (a spare jacket and jeans) and ice axe that I sent home and had shipped to me went I really needed it.

By comparison to some of the mileage estimates I read about on this discussion thread, my miles were nothing to write home about. My top 2-day distance was 55 pounds, in Northern California when I closed in on Oregon and was trying to catch up to Eli.

My philosophy: Everything I needed to survive in the wilderness was either in my Jansport backpack or strapped to it. I would rather be safe, and heavy, than sorry.

It was just my philosophy. I never criticized anybody who traveled differently (even George ? whose one-man tent meant he could lie down at night but not sit up in his tent.)

It wasn't popular then but I really like the phrase "Hike Your Own Hike."

Ernie Castillo
erniec01 at hotmail.com
248 884 5201