[pct-l] Probability of Disaster

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Sep 2 07:51:05 CDT 2010

Good morning, Gary,

I don’t have comprehensive information on hikers who have met their end on
the PCT – I can only remember three – but that generally only means that
there haven’t been very many.

5-6 years ago a section hiker perished when attempting to ford Mt. Hood’s
Sandy River early in the season when it was in flood.  She was found
downstream still wearing her pack.  I did not get the impression that gear –
or the lack of it – was significant, except she hadn’t slipped out of her
pack: she was found still wearing it.

“No-Way Ray” perished due to a fall from the trail in the steep Deep Creek
Canyon, but that was apparently just a miss-step that didn’t relate to gear.
Ray was an experienced -- and fairly lite-weight -- hiker.

That same year, I believe, an older gentleman apparently become
lost/confused in the San Jacintos above Palm Springs.  I don’t have much
information about that incident except he may have died of exposure.  That
death may have related to a lack of preparation/gear or he may have just
become disoriented and incapable of using the resources he had at hand.

Considering there are 300-400 thru-hike attempts every year, plus many
thousands of day-hikers, week-enders, and section hikers, I continue to
believe the likelihood of encountering a serious problem is very slim,
particularly when hiking in-season, and in fairly close association with
others.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09