[pct-l] Probability of Disaster

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Sep 1 19:38:53 CDT 2010

On Sep 1, 2010, at 4:44 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> An interesting post with much food for thought.
>
> A couple of question:
> How many PCTers have died from being under-equipped?
> How many PCTers have died from being over-equipped?

Probability of success:
How many PCTers have reached Canada with a pack in the neighborhood
of (I'll be generous) 45 or more lbs?

Just browsing google image search, most people look to be carrying
typical thru-hiker gear of sub 20lbs. Little packs go far.
Traditional heavy-weight packs do not.

Ultralight isn't just a fashion. It was born out of the necessity of
thru-hikers who want to get to Canada before the snow flies. I would
say the typical ultralight hiker standing on the Canadian border has
better equipment than the typical, over-loaded, what-iffed to
insanity traditional backpacker.

Ned just wants to scare people into taking his class. He need not do
that. He need not gloat every time snow falls somewhere on the trail
and start preaching about the need for ice axes in July and -15
degree bags in August (Holy cow! How many people can actually sleep
with a bag 45 degrees too hot?). Plenty of people would like to learn
how to self-arrest and walk on snow safely. They are not interested
in how to backpack like the days of yore before silnylon and titanium
and they're turned off by someone purposefully confusing a light
dusting of snow on the trail for a life-threatening storm requiring
Everest expedition equipment.

Sorry to be so blunt.