[pct-l] Probability of Disaster

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Wed Sep 1 18:41:53 CDT 2010

I humbly submit that the primary root cause of wilderness injuries and fatalities is not the presence or absence of equipment, but rather the presence or absence of either or both common sense and outdoor experience. You've heard it before - knowledge weighs nothing. Fear exists for a reason; it's called survival.

Granted, you can be an expert outdoorsman doing everything right and still wind up dead due to circumstances beyond your ability to both perceive or prevent. I don't waste time and energy worrying about such things as nothing I do or don't do can change the outcome.

It's my hike. I'll assume that level of risk with which I feel comfortable. Isn't that why we post (and trumpet) our gear lists?

Wandering Bob