[pct-l] Why must there be a "Right Way & wrong way" to hike the

Wes Rose wb104475 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 31 22:36:29 CDT 2010

Wireless ~

I am certain that if you are driving down the freeway and you see a car barrelling towards you, heading
the wrong direction, that your initial thought isn't, "Gee, there is some free spirit exercising his personal
preferences on the freeway.  Think I'll just scootch aside and let the dear soul pass me, and go his merry
way since I cannot live with the idea of discriminating against his freedoms"!  More likely is, "What is
this idiot doing, risking his life and mine!?? "

Mountain bikes on the trail isn't an issue of discimination or personal preferences, it is a health and safety
concern.  Mountain bikers want to violate the law, risk the safety of hikers on the trail and then expect the
hiking community to engage in a 'reasonable' debate about your use thereof.  Go ahead and use the same
logic with the individual driving his vehicle the wrong way down the expressway and see how that works out.