[pct-l] Passing Crater Lake with a Dog

Mariann mendenhall_mini_farm at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 30 15:57:07 CDT 2010

Hi MendoRider and Everyone who has been so helpful :)

Thanks so much for the info!  It is kinda sounding like I could get away with
taking the lower trail, but it isn't actually legal.  I'm unsure exactly what I
am going to do. :)  Right now I am leaning toward hiking sections F & G,
instead, and saving B, C & D for another year.

As far as my dog, she is a young bluetick coonhound, the racey style with long
legs and light weight.  I run her 3 to 5 days a week right now from 3 to 10
miles a run, but before I hit the trail next summer I will up those milages and
start her training with her pack.  I have leather booties for her that she will
wear if needed.  I'm only planning to be on the trail for 2 weeks, but at some
point before my hike I will take a week and do a lot of back to back high milage
days to make sure her (and my) endurance with our packs on is where I want it to
be.  I don't anticipate any problems for her, but if she doesn't handle the
trail well I won't hesitate to cut my hike short.

I have actually taken a dog through section E before, but I was very, very
careful to keep her feet covered with leather booties and check them
frequently.  She came through fine, although she was a bit tired she didn't get
any cuts and showed no excessive wear on her pads.  She did lose a leather
bootie at one point, but I'd brought 4 extras so that wasn't a problem.  She was
a short legged, heavy black labrador, so I ended up carrying her pack by the
last day as she was seeming a little trail weary.  I'm excited to hike with a
long legged, light dog!

Thanks again for all the advice and Happy Trails!!

Mariann