[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 34, Issue 127

Melissa Amacher melissa.amacher at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 21:12:10 CDT 2010

Re: [pct-l] Passing Crater Lake with a Dog

While I do not have advice about Crater Lake, I do have a note about
dogs on the trail in Oregon. On my thruhike this year I met a few
section hikers with dogs who were quite surprised by their dog's
inability to hike the trail. While Oregon is not as vertically
challenging as elsewhere on the trail, it is pretty rough terrain with
long stretches of very sharp volcanic rock. Not fun for human feet,
even less fun for dog feet. Two section hikers I met at Elks Lake
Resort had to stop altogether because their dog could not put any
pressure on his paws anymore - this was with wearing booties as well.

I do not mean to discourage you from bringing your dog but I think
this insight into the area is needed - Maybe if you are doing very
short mileage days it will help your dog recover. I've also heard that
you should not plan on putting any weight on your dog to help them
make it through this terrain. But this is just observation - I have
never hiked with a dog for long distances in Oregon.

Here are two pics from our photo albums that show the terrain.

http://gallery.me.com/mamacher#100237/August%209%202010%20Imagine%20building%20this%20trail%21&bgcolor=black

http://gallery.me.com/mamacher#100237/August%2017%202010%20Middle%20and%20Northern%20sister&bgcolor=black

Happy Trails,
Buckeye