[pct-l] Backpacks

Shawn Hudson shizaquawn at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 19:39:07 CDT 2010

Because it was my first post and I messed the subject up last time, I'm
simply going to repost this bit about the ULA Circuit.

My experience with it has not be ideal. I dig the roll-top, large hip
pockets, and removable/attachable hand-holds/waterbladder pouch/etc. What I
dislike is that only after perhaps 30 miles on trails, the plastic-y mesh
pocket on the back of it has a tear. I don't like the material that it's
constructed with - very cheap, but lightweight, which was the goal, I'm
guessing.

The actual pack materials are great, though, so don't get me wrong ...

The second problem was comfort. I'm sure that after about a week of
tinkering with the ULA, I will get it to be a comfortable pack, but I've
worn other packs, including the REI Cruise UL60 on my AT thru-hike, that fit
like gloves out of the box and were just as light as this one. The back
padding doesn't feel so hot. The shoulder straps rub my shoulders raw, so
I'm going to have to get some more padding for those. And there are a few
other problems that are much smaller, but slightly annoying. Noise of the
pack, for instance - I'm getting this weird creaking (at only 15-20 lbs. of
weight at the time).

I know people think really highly of ULA and I wanted one of their packs
because of that, but I also wanted to make sure that the person considering
the packs on this board doesn't immediately buy one due to all of the love
and think they'll fall in love with it, too.

I bought the Circuit for a 2012 PCT Thru, but I have my doubts, now. I've
been eye-balling my fiancée's new REI Flash (the revamp of my old Cruise
UL), and seeing that they've improved upon the old design in just about
every way, AND IT'S CHEAPER than the Circuit, which bugs me to no end.

I'll give the ULA as much love and attention as I can muster, and I hope
that I can modify it to fit my needs, but it's a big investment. Choose it
carefully.

- Voodoo