[pct-l] Ice/Snow

Katica Dias katicadias at optusnet.com.au
Thu Oct 28 15:03:09 CDT 2010

I am seeking advice on whether snow/ice skills are realistically
needed on a PCT thru-hike.  I am comfortable in the outdoors, have
done other long walks, but as an Australian, I have walked in snow for
a total of 2hrs in my entire life!  I am drawn to the PCT (over the
Appalachian) for the longer daily distance and fewer people but I also
need to be realistic about whether it is honestly feasible to thru-
hike the PCT without experience in snow and ice.  I was, for example,
considering delaying my start on the PCT for a few weeks after the
traditional start time to try and avoid the snow, but am not sure is
sufficient?  If I am being too idealistic, I would rather know that
now, so I can go walk the Appalachian successfully, rather than
attempt and fail the PCT due to snow conditions.  Any and all advice
happily received.