[pct-l] Maps

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Thu Oct 28 11:09:16 CDT 2010

On Oct 28, 2010, at 12:01 PM, dan kayser wrote:
> I plan to take a combination of maps and guidebooks on my 2011 thru hike.  I plan to use Halfmiles maps (Thanks Halfmile!), however, I do not think I'll need to print all of the maps.  My questions is are there areas where the trail is not marked where topo maps would be helpful?

I think it would be pretty hard to partition the trail into areas that are navigable with a map and those that are not.  The trail can be easy to follow for miles and then there is one junction that is problematic (e.g., Cougar Crest Trail junction with the PCT near Big Bear). It doesn't make sense to try to pick and choose maps in that way.
I think that just adds a logistical headache that isn't worth the savings (cost of printing maps, I guess).

-- Guide Books
-- PCT Atlas
-- Halfmile's maps

Personally, I don't think there is a way around picking at least one of those options.

Radar