[pct-l] navigational aids

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 19:34:59 CDT 2010

HI Ned

Great advice!

I'm completely comfortable off trail in snow. If I wasn't I couldn't hike
near my house in winter :)  I really love hiking on snowpack. Once I let go
of trying to stay on the trail, it's kind of liberating. I just decide where
it is I want to go, such as a saddle up ahead, and pick what looks like the
easiest route. Sometimes that might be straight up the hill by kicking
steps. :P

That being said, I still like to use the GPS. I guess I never thought about
it much until I read your post. I use it more to confirm where I already
think I am, and also because I'm a geek and like data LOL. The more hikers
that collect GPS data, the more accurately we will be able to mark the
trail's exact location. If you look at the tracks from folks like Halfmile,
there are always spots where it appears they are off route. I suspect the
trail is marked wrong on the map. Since I started carrying a GPS into the
backcountry, I've found this happens pretty often. I know the GPS isn't
always exact, but when it tells me it's accurate to +- 20 ft, but it shows
me 100s of ft from the trail, either the GPS or the map is mistaken.

You're absolutely right that nobody should rely on a GPS to not get lost. I
always assume the battery will die and I will have to navigate with the
paper map.