[pct-l] smartphone as two-way, also?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 13:23:34 CDT 2010

I've traveled by map and compass since I was able to read them, but we could
have used a good GPS in our party over the San Jacintos, Sierra, and even
some of the Northern desert sections where the trail looks a lot like the
dirt bike tracks in places.  We lost many hours hunting for trail in the
snowy forests of the Sierra, when you couldn't really get a fix on a ridge
above the trees.  Once above the tree line, the trail didn't matter so much
as it was simply a matter of following a heading until you could find the
pass.  If I thru hike again, I will invest in one and learn to use it, (ah
there's the rub), but would still never leave without map and compass.

Shroomer