[pct-l] 80 lbs

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 00:01:38 CDT 2010

Dear Mike

I read a book entitled "The Advanced Backpacker: A Handbook of Year
Round, Long-Distance Hiking" by Chris Townsend, and realized that
there are two kinds of hiking: section hiking vs through hiking, or
(slow hiking --he did not name it.) vs speed hiking.

There are many different hiking styles. And also we are not equally
built. Someone is very strong, can carry 80 pounds, others is weak,
can carry 10 pounds. This is an individual difference, no one can
blame this fact.

I had began hiking, simply to my health. I spend two times at JMT as a
summer vacation, so my aim is not to walk through. In this summer, I
regret I should stayed more long time  in the wilderness. I had
planned to much.

My adequate pack weight is about 50 pounds. This weight is good for me
to maintain my physical strength. My camera system weigh about 6
pounds. From the viewpoint of the image quality, I cannot use other
camera. This weight correspond to UL backpacker's base weight.

I would like walk more slowly and eat more food than the Americans.
That's my favorite. I cannot drive a car, so I am indifference with
the name of car. I do not want to see the quarrel on the pack weight.
And I must say, I am a Japanese, I cannot understand the exact meaning
of the English expression, and especially the humor and emotions.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami )