[pct-l] quick question on my hiking performance

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 20:09:12 CDT 2010

Hey All,

I know the issue of "hiking speed" is not one of those issues that is really
an issue... so please do not think I am all hung up on this issue - grin.

And, I know that there are a ton of factors that go into this issue, this is
just me trying to get a feel for what most of you out there are able to do
on a daily basis.

Basically what I am looking for is thoughts on whether my performance is
where it should be or if I should "pick it up" a bit more... you know... man
up and all that.

Just to be clear and honest... the vast majority of my hiking is between
zero elevation (lots of trails under 100 feet here in the Redwoods) and 2000
feet.... so, pretty much all sea level hiking at this point... kinda woosie
in that regards.

What I have been doing is 10-12 mile trips - with a total pack weight of
12-18 (water dependent) - and I have been doing 4 miles per two hours with
an average of 1000 feet elevation changes.

So anyway, just wondering if that is decent or if that is really pathetic
and I need to suck it up some more and push myself a bit harder.

Thanks.