[pct-l] 80 lbs

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Tue Oct 26 16:02:30 CDT 2010

Chuck,
It's so nice to hear from you.
Yes, I hear what you are saying...the criticizim goes both ways.
But why are you telling ME this?...I am a Ultra-liter and a Heavy
Trucker...depending on the hike.
I'm not criticizing Ultra-liters, I'm criticizing Diane for criticizing
and ridiculing Heavy Truckers.
Nothing wrong with UL, just like there is nothing wrong with Heavy
Truckers....to each his own.
I say HYOH and refrain from criticizing or ridiculing other hikers like
Diane has a tendency to do.
Advise is great....ridicule is not.

JMT Reinhold
------------------------------
Chuck wrote:
Good morning, Reinhold, I disagree. Ultra-lite hikers are tacitly
criticized by some through inference that a lack of gear is dangerous
and irresponsible. Since I’ve been hiking the mountain west since the
Eisenhower administration -- and I haven’t perished yet -- I don’t much
give a rip what they say about me, however I do object to their advising
new PCT hikers that bizarre levels extra/emergency gear is necessary to
stave off disaster. Without some proportion of skill and experience no
amount of gear can assure a hiker will be successful in a difficult
situation. Similarly, given and skill and experience, a hiker with
minimal gear can easily prevail under the same circumstances.
Enjoy, Steel-Eye