[pct-l] Preparedness

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Oct 26 15:15:19 CDT 2010

Can we agree on this:

1. Hike your own Hike.
2. Carry what you want.
3. Go as light or as heavy as you meets the intent and desires of your hike.
4. Realistically prepare for the challenges ahead of you as works for you.
5. "Heavy" does not equate to "safe."
6. "Light" does not equate to ill-prepared.
7. Know what you're able to do, can't do, and don't want to do on your hike.
8. Compare to learn, then go decide what "works" for you on test hikes.

Don't be like the guy we searched for and rescued last night at 9:30pm at
9,000 feet who was lost off the Tahoe Rim Trail, without food, water, and
lighting, in 32-degree weather in summer clothes, out for a long day-hike
with a bad knee, and who's friends left him in the back assuming he knew
where to go in the dark. He was not prepared in many ways and it put him at
risk:

1. Was injured already, yet assumed, himself, that he could "handle it."
2. Planned a long day-hike with a couple of thousand feet of elevation gain
starting at 1:00pm.
3. Didn't think he needed any food, extra clothing, water, map, lighting,
etc..
4. Had no communication plan with his two other hiking partners and his cell
phone was dead.

All we ask is that you learn how to be safe out there. The wilderness is too
beautiful a place in which to have a bad experience. If you're certain that
you can be safe (in the conditions that occur) where you plan to go, based
on what you know and the experienced skills you can do with what you've
brought, then have a great trip.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd