[pct-l] 80 lbs

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 23:06:58 CDT 2010

I was with her on Mt. Laguna, one of several crammed into the room she and
Gramma Lissa were sharing.  She's logged well over 4000 miles in crocs so
far, and this was her first real hike in the West.  She was blown away by
the beauty of the desert, the flowers and endless vistas, and plans to hike
more PCT in future.  I think she's aiming for optimum season for the
different sections, ie, JMT in late July or August, so hopefully she won't
be crossing snow in crocs.  I don't think micro spikes would work with
crocs, although if someone knows better, let me know and I'll pass it on to
her.  She's wonderful.  I asked her how she got her trail name, and she
said, very seriously, "just watch me on the trail."  I did, and now
understand.  A perfect name.

With all the foot issues you've had, if you can make something that stops
the pain, it would be worth it.  I started the hike this year with plantar
fasciitis which went away while living on the snow of the Sierra for 4 to 5
weeks.  It was difficult, but soft walking with relatively low mileage.  It
stayed gone all the way to WA, and then reared its ugly head again during
the last 2 1/2 weeks before Manning Park, and is still with me off trail.  I
think the 30 to 35 mile days across Oregon which continued as 25 to 30+ mile
days in WA simply were too much of a strain for my old feet.  I over used
them, and got a classic over use injury.

Good Luck in finding the right foot wear.  I agree.  Happy feet are simply a
must for me to remain happy on the trail.  Any trail.

Shroomer