[pct-l] cyclists

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Mon Oct 25 20:09:47 CDT 2010

Melanie wrote:
>Please give me your suggestions and feedback about the trail width
>requirements for cyclist to share the trail.

I'm sorry but it is hard for me to understand how you could have missed the point that almost everyone on the list is opposed to sharing the trail with cyclists unless they leave their bikes at the trailhead.

Unfortunately I have seen this same maneuver by mountain bikers locally- first they ask what would be needed for the trail to safely be multi-user. Then if the trail meets that criteria they will say that you agreed to allow bikes on the trail. If the trail does not meet that criteria, then they say that the trail is unsafe and no one should be allowed to use it.

I would love to take the high road with mountain bikers but the truth is that they are highly skilled in rhetoric, schmoozing with land managers, and manipulation of naive trail users. They have one goal - to get on every trail in the country.

My advice from years of experience with dealing with them:

1. Make sure that the PCTA knows that the hikers are completely opposed to opening any of the PCT to mountain bikers. IMBA may already making overtures to directors of the PCTA. The directors need to know how you feel about this.

2. When you see mountain bikers politely tell them that they are on the PCT and they are not supposed to be there. In almost all cases they will either not know or will tell you that they didn't know. That's fine. Don't worry about it. People will lie to protect themselves. Report any encounters to local land managers. Truthfully, they may take no action for your specific instance but they do keep records of complaints so they can track what types of issues need attention.

3. If possible take their picture. If you can send a copy to the local land management and perhaps the PCTA they may be able to tell if they are repeat offenders.

4. Don't get into arguments, don't get physical, don't sabotage their gear. First of all, the penalty for doing that may be greater than the penalty to them for trespassing. Secondly, mountain biking is an extreme sport and sometimes individuals can be aggressive and worked up from their ride and anyone who might try to bring them down. Don't put your health or life in danger. I know that there have be altercations that have become physical. I know people who have been beat up. I know people who have been harassed and threatened.

5. Keep in mind one of the reasons that we are hiking the Pacific Crest Trail is because everything else has already been consumed by people and their machines. The crest is all we have left to escape from mechanical devices, industry, and the mass of people rushing about. We need to protect it at all costs.

I would respectfully suggest that you DO NOT tell Melanie, no matter what her purpose, be it well intended or otherwise, what the appropriate width, grade, slope, speed limit, sight lines, etc. IMBA and the hardcore MBer's are too wise to let any information escape them that they can use to get access to the PCT and Wilderness areas. A number of municipalities, cities, FS, BLM directors have been lulled into a cooperative mode and later regretted it. The Sierra Club was tricked into an MOU with IMBA as was the FS. It's almost impossible to go backward.

We do not need standards made by this group - there are already standards by the Forest Service and IMBA. Again, any information or efforts put in by this group can be misconstrued and utilized with unintended consequences.

TrailHacker

"When my feet hurt, I can't think straight."