[pct-l] smartphone as GPS

David Ellzey david at xpletive.com
Mon Oct 25 17:54:36 CDT 2010

Halfmile,

Not yet, but on my list of toys to get. I have however heard of some issues.

A developer at AT&T did tell me that you need a CLEAR view of the southern sky to use it and the further north you go, the more important a clear view is. Apparently they provide an external antennae of some type for use in Alaska.

Of course they shipped it with Windows Mobile 6.5 instead of Windows Phone 7.0. No word on whether it will get an upgrade anytime soon.

Hard to know how bad off they are financially. The BK is only a chapter 11 and one of their investors just handed them a big load of cash. I guess now that they are on the market that sales will ultimately decide their fate. It really is too bad they took so long to get to market, a year ago they could have easily sold large numbers to federal agencies but now those same agencies will be looking at sharp budget cuts.

BigToe