[pct-l] smartphone as GPS

David Ellzey david at xpletive.com
Mon Oct 25 17:05:12 CDT 2010

Dennis, et al,

As I understand it, it is possible to overcome the GPS chip's lack of sufficient integrated correlators with software. Most likely this is what happened for the people here who got it to work. They had software loaded that contained not only map data but correlator data that the phone's CPU could then calculate.

According to the Apple development team, they do not recommend this approach as it has several downsides, (1) it causes the processor to use excess power to operate, severely diminishing battery life, (2) the solution for the GPS signals cannot be processed in parallel which can cause a much higher rate of error and (3) because the CPU is not designed specifically to process GPS correlators it takes much longer than a standard GPS chip or even AGPS to record a solution, with fewer solutions the mean average can be further displaced by errant position records.

We did some field testing in Florida last month at a National Park with no cell coverage and moderate tree cover and found that we could not reliably use an iPhone or iPad without a functioning AGPS to accurately track where a visitor was at in the park. On the other hand an ultra-mobile PC with a full GPS chip in it performed flawlessly.

The best solution would be a smartphone with an AGPS chip that also had sufficient integrated correlators but for some reason (probably a good one) no one offers that.

BigToe

PS - FYI, this is a long running hot topic among iOS developers and still difficult to get a comprehensive straight answer from Apple even now.