[pct-l] Bikers on the PCT

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 24 19:48:47 CDT 2010

Kick this problem around long enough and we might come up with an effective and
doable approach to protecting the PCT from m. bikers and motorcycles.  I like
Diane's idea for a citation - except -confiscating the bike (or motorcycle) by
the Ranger and requiring the violator to walk out puts the burden of getting it
out on the Ranger.  I say, require the violator to do the carrying - even if
more than one trip is needed. Also, there might, and often is, more than one in
a group.  In an earlier post I told of an incident in the John Muir Wilderness
when a Ranger caught a motorcycle rider and made him carry it out to the Ranger
Station.  That required more than one trip and also two days.

Ron,  enforcement will obviously require that more Rangers be hired. Why
not? Jobs are needed and that's a good use of the money needed to supplement
money from the big fines.  Rangers should have satellite phones and should be
able to lock some kind of tracking device to the bike.  The bikers are a
community. Once the word is out that serious enforcement is in effect, with big
fines, they will stay off the PCT.  There are plenty of trails where then
legally ride.

One of the last mountain bikers that I confronted would not answer me,
 pretended that he did not hear me when I asked if he realized that he was
riding illegally on the PCT.  He never said one word - just rode on.

MendoRider