[pct-l] Bikes on the PCT

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sun Oct 24 11:56:35 CDT 2010

carol bruno wrote:
> Just returned from hiking a segment of section C and  was practically overrun by
> a biker on the trail.
We do all of our spring training/trailwork hikes in Section C, and have
found nearly every inch of the trail contains bike tracks.  We have
encountered both cyclists and motorcyclists.  Since we hike with a long
string of llamas, we don't let them pass.  We stand our ground and tell
them they don't belong on the trail and they need to turn around.  The
motorcyclists have been apologetic, but most of the mountain bikers have
been rude, confrontational, jeering, foulmouthed sorts.  On one occasion
I met my doctor on a bike.  He said bikes should be legal on the PCT and
he was going to keep on riding.  He went uphill around us and kept going.
llamalady