[pct-l] PCT-L Bikers on the PCT (Suggestions)

Kev hikevv at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 14:56:49 CDT 2010

As a volunteer Area Coordinator in Region 1 Section E (LA County), I
encounter cyclists too.
1.  Ask if they know they're riding on the PCT.  They always claim to
not know, but some might not know. Point out that the crossing was
signed with emblems.  Sometimes they claim to have ended up on the trail
between trailheads, by accident. Whatever. Sometimes they apologise,
sometimes they say, "Yes, we know we're riding on the PCT."
2. Ask if they know the PCT is a foot trail, and point out that while
they are all quite welcome to use the trail, their bikes are not. You
can even extend a friendly offer that they try hiking the trail,
starting 'right now'.  Let them know they are always welcome to return
and use the trail on foot - even dressed up in the neon spandex
superhero costumes that they seem to prefer; other trail users won't
mind.  It's called "Hike Your Own Hike"...
3. You don't want to get drawn into mountain-biking website
talking-points propaganda about how "mountain bikes don't damage trails"
or that "mountain bikes aren't incompatible use" or arguments about
equal access. It's all a waste of your time. Sidestep that by offering a
friendly warning that "Well, some of the locals have been known to
vandalize mountain bikers' cars around here".  Or seriously, you could
ask the question, "Mt biking has been popular for decades. Seems like
mtn bikers have plenty of money and energy. When are mtn bikers going to
start building riding trails instead of complaining about access to
hiking trails that other user groups maintain?"
4. If you try to inform them that they are riding illegally, that they
are subject to citation, and that the PCT, while not designed for
bicycle use, is maintained by an army of volunteers who are passionate
about the trail, you might still get attitude from one of them.  That's
fine, but know that the other three in the back might be thinking twice,
and if you have a reasoned approach and don't come off as elitist with a
"my recreation is better than yours" attitude, your words might be
remembered the next time the one of them proposes another PCT ride to
his buddies. You never know...
5. When it's all said and done, you'll have at least offered valid
arguments and hopefully not come off as an angry jerk who needs to get a
life.  You can't really do more than that.  You can't spike the trail,
or control the decisions that others make.
6. Check for signage at crossings and inform the PCTA if adequate
signage is missing.

Kevin Corcoran