[pct-l] Bikes on the PCT

tokencivilian at yahoo.com tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 18:12:17 CDT 2010

I had a run in with a group of bikers in the same area that is mentioned in he noted journal entry.  One hopes the PCTA will work with the local forest service district on some enforcement.  If it weren't illegal, I'd suggest destroying their bikes (spokes and wheels are quite vulnerable to a good stomping) hence turning the bikers into hikers.  But alas, we are a society of laws, not men, so one must use the law.

As regards the bikers north of stampede pass, I'm going to forward that on to the local PCTA regional rep in the hope she can persuade the Cle  Elum Ranger district to perhaps do something about it.

More generally, this is a subject that ought to be a topic for the PCTA to bring up before congress on their annual hike the hill efforts.  Until the throttle twisters and mountain bikers start losing their machines in addition to a fine for violating either wilderness or the no bikes on the PCT regulations they'll flout the restrictions with near impunity.

TC

PS - there is nothing I like better than a sweet piece of good single track on my trek 6700 hardtail.  But, the PCT isn't the place to find it.