[pct-l] CDC recommendations for water treatment

jcil000-pctchat at yahoo.com jcil000-pctchat at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 21 20:34:43 CDT 2010

The following recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) are
useful in

the avoidance of infection by Cryptosporidium.

To avoid Crypto infection, they advise the following:

1)  That the use of water filters which  an “absolute one micron” filter, or a
filter   certified to remove Cryptosporidium under NSF International Standard
#53 or #58 for either “cyst removal” or “cyst reduction” be used. (see A Guide
to Water Filters for more   information.

2) That Cryptosporidium is poorly inactivated by chlorine or iodine
disinfection.***
***The product sold by REI called "Potable Aqua / Chlorine Dioxide Water
Purification Tablets" claims effectiveness in four hours.
The down side to this product is that it "causes irreversible eye damage" if the
user gets residue into his/her eyes.

3) That boiling at a rolling boil for 1 minute (at altitudes greater than 6,562
feet   (>2,000 m), boil water for 3 minutes)

is recommended.

4)  Cryptosporidium is not killed by alcohol gels and hand sanitizers.

5)   Ultraviolet light treatment of water is not effective   against
Cryptosporidium at normally-used levels. i.e. Steri Pen type products.

CDC web links below:

http://www.cdc.gov/crypto/gen_info/filters.html

http://www.cdc.gov/crypto/health_professionals/bwa/dialysis.html

If I made a mistake in transcribing this information for my hiking friends,
please post corrections but I think I've summed up their information.

Also, in closing, the weblink shows wording by manufacturers which might be
misleading while reading a product label. Be sure to read that
CDC warning.