[pct-l] thru hiker

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Thu Oct 21 12:05:52 CDT 2010

On 10/19/2010 9:56 PM, nicole medeiros wrote:
> my idea is to hike the pct and i need a partner to hike with. i will
> be hiking the whole thing. anybody interested?

Since nobody has replied on the list, I'll chime in.

Most partnerships formed prior to starting the trail don't last. You and
your partner may find that you have different hiking styles, or that you
just don't like each other's company.

If you start your hike anywhere around the last week in April, there
will be a lot of other thru hikers on the trail. You will find yourself
meeting with the same people throughout the day and even more of them at
resupply points. If you want to partner with someone, this is a great
opportunity to pair up with someone who matches your pace, schedule,
miles per day, need for isolation, etc.

And be aware that partnerships don't generally last the whole trail.
There are any number of reasons for partnerships to break part, and new
partnerships to form. Partnerships tend to be very loose. You may form a
partnership and still hike alone for large portions of each day.

If you want a partnership for safety or social reasons, you will have
that even without a formal partnership. You will get to know the people
who are hiking with a similar pace and schedule to yours, and you will
find that PCT hikers, thru or section, look out for each other.