[pct-l] The AT as a "green tunnel"

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Tue Oct 19 07:49:04 CDT 2010

 < The parts I've seen were, as you described, in dense forest. I've heard references to "balds", which I think

 < means the top a hill that has no trees. The views should be nice from those, no? Hopefully you hike passed a

 < couple a day. Hiking through a tunnel for months sounds miserable to me.

The AT is getting an undeserved bad rap.  Although it doesn't have the dramatic scenery of the Sierra and the Cascades, it has its own beauty, trees, meadows, creeks & rivers, and rugged mountains.  The "green tunnel" nickname is misleading for several reasons, including the fact that most hikers start north long before the leaves come out.

Balds are high mountain grasslands of uncertain origin.  They were kept treeless for years by summer stock grazing.  Unfortunately to some of us, the balds in the GSMNP are being allowed to naturally disappear.  Some remaining examples of wonderful balds are Max Patch in NC, Roan Mt / Round Bald / Hump Mt in NC/ TN, and Whitetop Mt and Grayson Highlands in VA.

The White Mtns in NH and southern ME are rugged and dramatic and beautiful in their own right.  Please don't be avoid the AT just because you think trees are boring.

The best AT discussion site is probably whiteblaze.net.

Watch where you step.

Mango