[pct-l] heavyweight backpacks

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Oct 18 15:23:27 CDT 2010

Marion is right!

We want others, whether kids young or old, to discover for themselves fun
and pleasure in traveling through and living in Wilderness, summer and
winter. As a wilderness educator and skills trainer, safety is paramount and
begins way before the boots hit the trail and snowshoes land on the snow.
You want your students to go as light as possible and to be able to test out
their gear, food, and clothing systems while anticipating all possible
failures along the way, so leaders typically carry the big first aid kit,
extra food and clothing, more fuel, satellite phone, and, in our case, an
extra tent and seven foot long emergency sled to haul out anyone injured
(plus it makes for a great way to take in gear!)

Our mantra is "Go as light as you can, plan for the realistically
anticipated conditions ahead, and don't sacrifice personal or group safety."
In your trip experiences, always test everything you bring and know against
the realities you have to deal with out there so you'll know where to
lighten up for future trips based on those personally experienced trail
realities. Again, what works for one may not work for another. Find out for
yourself on shorter trips before the big thru hike.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150