[pct-l] June 1st 2011 start date

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Oct 15 17:38:24 CDT 2010

On Oct 15, 2010, at 9:10 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Hi all,? new to the forum.?Looking for advice on how to hike the
> trail if I have a june 1 start date?and plan on taking about 4.5
> months.?I don't know if that is too late to go Northbound.
> ?
> Thanks,? Dale

Ray Jardine's PCT Hikers Handbook has a 4.5 month itinerary starting
on May 7 and ending Sept 21. And a 4 month starting May 11 and ending
Sep 10. If you can keep up that kind of pace you might be able to
make it starting June 1, but you'll be a wee bit hotter than most
folks experience in the southernmost part of the trail and you'll
really be racing winter as you get toward Canada.

You might consider starting the trail in Agua Dulce or thereabouts on
June 1. You'll be in with the herd and might have to suffer some of
the same trials and tribulations that normally crop up on the regular
northbound thru-hike schedule (too much snow/high creeks in the
Sierra, chance of being late to Canada.) But you'll stand a much
better chance of reaching the Canadian border. You can always flip
back down to Agua Dulce for a southbound trip to the Mexican border
to finish it all up. Maybe you'll even get lucky and they'll open up
the closed portion of the trail through the Angeles National Forest
by then.