[pct-l] PCT Thru Hike

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Thu Oct 14 11:13:51 CDT 2010

Diane wrote:
>See if they can start the trail with you. You'll all be in the same
>condition at the beginning of the trail. If they meet you somewhere
>in the middle, they will force you to slow way down and it will make
>you crazy. Remember, you'll be up to 20+ miles a day easily within a
>few weeks.

I have to agree with Diane. I was the one that met up with her. Although I am a pretty strong hiker, by the time she got to Thousand Island Lakes area, she had been hiking for months and I had been riding a desk. The 20+ miles over three minor passes with Piper, Sparky, Mike and Cat beat the hell out of me and I barely had enough strength at the end of the day to eat and take my shoes off. Not fun for me to be the drag on the group, although they really didn't have to stop for me. Just a psychological thing for me and I'm sure for them to have someone dragging behind.

When Piper first started out in 2008, I hiked with her from Campo and there was no problem keeping together. Same thing when I started my hike in 2010 and Piper started with me. No problem keeping together.

If I had managed to continue on my hike without injury and Piper came to meet me a few hundred miles later, things probably would have been reverse with me being the dragger and her the dragee. Only a few people enjoy being in drag (pun intended).

When someone comes to hike with you, I'm sure they are expecting a challenge but mostly a good time. You'll want to position the joint hike so that you both get the challenge and a good time.

TrailHacker

When I'm being dragged, I can't think straight.