[pct-l] foot ware

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Oct 13 23:11:01 CDT 2010

I'm embarrassed too. My lightweight hiking kit merely has me wearing
a single pair of hiking shoes, shoes that drain water quickly and
after a few minutes of walking feel dry enough to be somewhat
comfortable, shoes that dry out overnight after a day of walking in
creeks and snowmelt. Oh what I have been missing! I could have kept
the water completely out with hip waders or thigh-high gaiters and
heavy hiking boots. No need to walk with carefree abandon across a
creek unconcerned with the water when I can slap on those babies and
stay perfectly dry. Wow. I'm going to start adding pounds to my kit
so that I can stagger around in comfort knowing that my feet will
stay dry and I can kick steps in the snow at the top of Mather Pass.
Lord knows the 10 minutes of kicking steps will be more than worth
the weeks of hauling around heavy boots and hip waders. Or, I could
just strap on a pair of instep crampons. But no fancy technology
there and only a few low-tech ounces. Bummer.