[pct-l] foot ware

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Oct 13 13:58:09 CDT 2010

Hey, Mango!

Let me add that our boots used between KM and the MTR in the months of May
and June when there was six diminishing to two feet of snow nearly
everywhere above 9,000 feet did exceptionally well, not only for certainty
of footing but in staying dry and keeping our feet dry, especially when
there was water running everywhere!

Of course, through the shallow creek crossings (water up to mid-shin), we
wore our heavy weight tall gaitors, which kept the water out, but on the
sections of trail which were, literally, mini-creeks, where each footfall
was a huge splash onto the other foot, we didn't and still the boots kept
our feet dry.

Because the boots were maintained as needed on-trail with a waterproof
manufacturer-supplied treatment, they never got wet enough to freeze at
night, even when at the base of Forester when we had a zero-degree night
where every water container froze solid.

Good comment about loosening laces of wet shoes on nights where you
anticipate a freeze! Trying to get your feet into a stiff boot in the
morning is sometimes challenging!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd