[pct-l] Guidebook question

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 13:53:02 CDT 2010

I've seen the recent threads discussing some new guides and some old guides,
but I'm not familiar with the authors or these books. I'm doing a thru hike
in 2011, so I started rereading my old guidebooks.

I have an old copy of the guidebooks from when they were divided into CA and
OR/WA. I see that they are now split into 3 books. I also have Ray Jardine's
book from when it was still the PCT Hiker Handbook.

My question is, are my old guidebooks still of any use? I suspect the trail
has been rerouted quite a bit since my 1995 editions were printed ;)

I'm thinking I will probably pick up a couple of the newer books. Maybe one
aimed at the planning and one of the newer lightweight ones meant to carry
on the trail.

Can I use the old editions of the guidebooks? I had planned to cut one up,
so I looked for a used copy. I can get them cheap, but then I realized there
is a newer version.

Thanks for the help.