[pct-l] foot ware

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Oct 13 09:08:14 CDT 2010

On Oct 12, 2010, at 10:17 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> I'm considering doing the hike next year and wonder if perhaps Keen
> sandals might be
> appropriate for desert travel in Southern California.  Any likely
> problems with thorns, things like that?
>
> I think maybe leather hiking boots for the Sierras and then light
> trail runners for the rest of the way.  How does that sound?

I would test the keens first. I tried hiking in keens and they really
really sucked for me. I mean really sucked. They have no traction at
all. During creek crossings, for which I assumed these things were
made, sand and gravel got inside and never came out. Foxtails and
keens don't mix. I dare you to get all the foxtails out of the
neoprene. They were so awful to wear I cut up a stuff sack and tied
the pieces to the outside to try to make them into something closer
to actual shoes. I was on a trail much worse than the PCT, so you
should try them before you reject them outright. I met a lady who
hiked happily in them on the PCT. (I'm assuming you are talking about
the sandals, not the boots.)

As for your other choices, I'd say Keens or other sandals for So Cal,
light trail runners for the Sierra, back to sandals for the rest of
the way until it gets colder and then back to trail runners. Or light
trail runners the entire way.

Boots are actually a liability in the Sierras because they don't dry
as quickly on your feet while you walk. Of course, if you're a
traditionalist, you'll reject that assertion on some notion of
needing protection or support or shoes that don't wear out quickly,
or shoes that can handle the supposedly super rugged conditions
(seemed like a regular trail to me). That's fine.

Diane