[pct-l] Ten Essentials

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Tue Oct 12 20:53:30 CDT 2010

I think 10 is somehow the required number of items in any list. I learned my
from scouts, and have grouped them for ease of remembering:

Sustenance:
1. Food
2. Water

Protection:
3. Extra clothing
4. Rain protection
5. Sun protection

Light the way:
6. Flashlight
7. Matches & firestarter
8. Map & compass

Hardware:
9. Knife
10. First aid kit

The "11th" item is typically toilet paper.

Most lists I've seen have these same items, but rearranged, such as "Map",
"Compass", then "Food & Water".

With the above list, all I need for an overnight is 3 more "items":
"Shelter" (tent, sleeping bag & pad)
"Kitchen" (stove, kettle, spoon)
"Bathroom" (toiletries, medicines, etc.)

AsABat