[pct-l] Fw: Thoughts on having a full time trail angel.

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 11 23:43:21 CDT 2010

Albert,
Seriously, why not consider some combination of your roommate meeting you and
caching?  While I passed through S. California I was met by my wife four times.
The last time was at Walker Pass.  I resupplied myself by caching at four other
locations.  After Walker Pass I had concluded that it was actually simpler, more
predictable, and less stressful to cache. From Sierra City north all the way to
Canada I just drove my rig ahead two or three hundred miles each time and
cached near, but usually from  200' to 300'  from road crossings and trail
heads. I would then hitch back to where I had left my horse in good care. My
caching approach can be described both as leapfroging and "leave no trace". I
always hid my food and my horse's processed feed very well camouflaged so that
even I sometimes had difficulty finding it a week or more later. This was
because I would usually consider several possible spots - then,  returning
later, I sometimes forgot which spot I used. (From now on I will always take a
picture of the cache location)  After retrieving a cache I would return the spot
to look as it did before I cached. Of course, when I reached my rig I could
shower, sleep in a comfortable bed, once again leave Primo in safe care along
with my saddle and camping supplies  (always prearranged)  Then I would drive
north, cache, park rig in a safe place near the PCT, and then hitch south to
Primo and what I would need until the next cache location. This approach worked
very well for me and didn't require that I would have to rely on someone meeting
me or myself having to be at a certain place at a scheduled day and time. It
eliminated the pressure that inevitably results from scheduled rendezvous. By
being independent I could camp where and when I wanted.

For 2011 I plan to ride the High Sierra, probably southbound, from Sierra City
to Horseshoe Meadows.  I had trailered around those Sections because of all the
snow in late June when I arrived at H. Meadow. Too much snow to pass through
safely with a horse.  I have identified seven resupply locations - will send
resupply buckets via priority mail to three of them and cache at the other four.

MendoRider