[pct-l] Thoughts on having a full time trail angel.

albert at survivalcrafters.com albert at survivalcrafters.com
Sat Oct 9 12:38:53 CDT 2010

Hi All,

I'm starting preparations for the PCT this April. I have a roommate that
would like to make the trip in an RV and suggested that she could prepare
the food boxes ahead of me and leave them at the drop boxes as I progress up
the trail from Campo. On the one hand I kind of feel like if I'm going to be
that lazy and spoiled I might as well just ride in the RV too. On the other
hand since she's going to be driving around in her RV anyway it would just
be cheaper for me in the long run and I'd have much fresher food boxes
during the trip, and what difference does it make if the post office or
someone else puts the boxes there?

I read here a while back that some people don't carry any form of
communications with them because that kind of builds an obligation and
expectations to people in the outside world during the hike and they don't
want those kinds of pressures during the hike, I guess I'm worried about the
same kind ties to an RV'er. I'm 53 and this will be my first ever long hike
and I'd like to hear any experiences/opinions about this if you have some to
share.

Thanks,

Albert