[pct-l] Question about a backpack

lee staley leestcoast at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 17:37:05 CDT 2010

Hey Paul,

Years ago I bought 2 Lowe Contour III internal frame packs that use
heavy-duty cordura nylon.  Your harness-hip belt system should be
similar to my Contour III and later models.  I've used one of the packs
for everything from southwest canyon trips to PCT sections. My kids and
various friends used the other one for years; most recently, one of my
sons used it to haul some snow/4 season gear up to New Army Pass for an
early season scramble up Mt. Langley.  These are comfortable, big-load
carriers that stand up well, but are bigger, heavier (@6 lb.) and more
bomb-proof than what you need for the PCT.  If you like how the Lowe
works for you, check on getting something like one of the lighter
Gregory packs, or even better, the ULA Circuit for a thru-hike.  The
comfort factor should seem familiar.

Cruz Control