[pct-l] purifying water

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Oct 8 17:08:27 CDT 2010

On Oct 8, 2010, at 12:14 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Hello Backpackers!
>
> I am hiking the PCT with my boyfriend in 2011. We are getting all
> our gear together and have noticed that water purification methods
> have no been talked about much. I have been researching a bunch,
> but there is a lot of mixed reviews. We are not very partial to
> bringing along tablets to drop into our water (although lighter)
> are not wanting to drink chemicals for 4 in a half to six months
> (we have very clean water in Oregon and Finland and have been
> spolied). Any feedback or recommendations would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Kristen and Ville
If you want pure water without chemicals, bring a filter.

I used a filter in So Cal. Aquamira drops the rest of the time.
Frankly, with the exception of all those warm shallow lakes in
Oregon, I rarely treated my water after the High Sierra. It all
looked pretty clean to me. I never got sick. I think we get a little
too paranoid about germs. Somebody did a study and showed that most
high sierra was is very clean unless livestock is allowed near it.
Unfortunately livestock is plentiful along the JMT.